Carpal Tunnel Pre/Post Operative Instructions
download Word format
Several days before surgery:
- Register with Northwest Florida Surgery Center, either by phone (850)
747-0400 or on line www.nwfsc.com.
The day before surgery
- You should have an appointment with Dr. Talkington’s office the day before surgery. You will review your consent for surgery and be given sterile cleaning brushes.
- The night before surgery you should use your first cleaning brush. Make sure to only use the soft side of the brush to avoid scratching the skin.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT.
- Confirm the time that you are to be at NorthWest Florida Surgery Center.
- Pick up your prescription today.
- Confirm your transportation to and from surgery. You will NOT be allowed to drive.
The day of surgery
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK!
- Use your 2nd cleaning brush. Again, only use the soft side of the brush.
- Report to the NorthWest Florida Surgery Center for surgery.
– Reminder to wear loose fitting clothes.
Immediately After Surgery
- You will be taken to the recovery room where your family will meet you.
- Someone should be around you for the rest of the day. Many times after exposure to anesthetic agents, the patients become nauseated for 24-48 hours postoperatively.
- Once at home you should elevate the operated hand to reduce pain and swelling.
- Move your fingers to help with circulation.
- Leave your dressing on (keep it clean and dry) until your return appointment. Do Not apply any creams or ointments to the incision site. Do Not scrub or pick at the wounds.
The Day After Surgery
- You should NOT drive until your return appointment with Dr. Talkington.
- Take your pain medication AS NEEDED, if you are not in pain you do not have to take it. Do NOT mix alcohol with any pain medication. Avoid driving or any situation that demands making decisions or fast reactions while taking pain medication. NO refills will be given for pain medication until your first post-op visit. It can take up to 2-3 days for the postoperative pain to subside.
- Apply cold compress to the wrist 15 minutes every hour as needed to reduce pain and swelling.
Follow Up Office Visit
- You should have an appointment to see Dr. Talkington the first of the week following surgery. This appointment is important to monitor your progress and check for any signs of infection.
Your appointment is scheduled for ________________________________________________.
- If you develop any fever, shakes, chills, unexplained increase in pain, nausea or vomiting contact our office at 850-763-0346.