ACL Repair Knee Pre/Post Op Instructions
download Word format
Several Days Before Surgery:
- Register with Northwest Florida Surgery Center, either by phone (850) 747-0400 or on line www.nwfsc.com
The Day Before Surgery:
- You should have an appointment with Dr. Talkington’s office the day before
surgery. You will review your consent for surgery and be given sterile cleaning brushes.
- The night before surgery you should use your first cleaning brush. Make sure you
only use the soft side of the brush to avoid scratching the skin.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT.
- Confirm the time that you are to be at Northwest Florida Surgery Center.
- Pick up your prescription today.
- Confirm your transportation to and from surgery. You will NOT be allowed to drive home.
The Day of Surgery:
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK!
- Use your 2nd cleaning brush. Again, only use the soft side of the brush.
- Report to Northwest Florida Surgery Center for surgery.
– Reminder to wear loose fitting clothes.
Immediately After Surgery:
- You will be taken to the recovery from where your family will meet you.
- You will be given post op medication prior to your surgery and you should began taking this when you feel the sensation return. Pain medication is on an as needed basis, meaning if you don’t need it – don’t take it.
- Northwest Florida Surgery Center will provide you with crutches before leaving and you should continue to use both crutches until your follow up with Dr. Talkington. You CAN bear full weight and walk on the leg (unless otherwise instructed).
- Someone should be around you for the rest of the day. Many times after exposure to
anesthetic agents, the patients become nauseated for 24-48 hours postoperatively.
- Once at home you should elevate the leg and apply cold packs to the operated knee to reduce pain and swelling.
- Move your toes and ankle by doing the ankle pumps.
- Leave your dressing on (keep it clean and dry) until physical therapy removes the dressing. Do NOT apply any creams or ointments to the incision site. Do NOT
scrub or pick at the wounds.
- Apply ice every 15 minutes of the hour for pain and swelling. Use a towel between the ice and skin to prevent skin injury. Physical therapy will remove the bandage the
Next day and then you can change to waterproof band-aids and shower.
Position for ice – 15 mins of every hour AS NEEDED for pain and swelling.
- You can gently move the knee (flexion and extension) and begin ankle pumps, straight leg raises, heel slides and quad sets. Caution do NOT put a pillow under the knee, this tends to cause stiffness. Instead place a pillow length wise under the entire leg or roll up a towel under the ankle for elevation or under the ankle. Remember elevation is
above the level of your heart.
The Day After Surgery:
- You should have and attend your physical therapy appointment___________________.
- You should NOT drive until your return appointment with Dr. Talkington.
- Water proof band-aids can be applied to take a shower. Do NOT submerge the
knee under water.
- Place pillows long ways under the leg. Avoid bunches the pillow up under
the knee. We want the leg to straighten out.
- Take your pain mediation AS NEEDED, if you are not in pain you do not have to take it. Do Not mix alcohol with any pain medication. Avoid driving or any situation
that demands making decisions or fast reactions while taking pain medication.
NO refill will be given for pain mediation until your first post-op visit. It can take
up to 2-3 days for the postoperative pain to subside.
- Apply cold compress to the knee 15 minutes every hour as needed to reduce pain
- Began doing your exercises as described by your therapist.
Follow Up Office Visit:
- You should have an appointment to see Dr. Talkington the first of the week
following surgery. This appointment is important to monitor your progress and
check for any signs of infection. You appointment is scheduled for _______________________________.
- If you develop any fever, shakes, chills, unexplained increase in pain, nausea or vomiting contact our office. 850-763-0346.