There are many different causes for knee pain, from wearing improper shoes to an injury (old or new) or arthritis. It is very important to take care of your knees, and there are several things we can do to help prevent and avoid injuries, and to help minimize the pain.
First, a little bit about the knee joint to make us realize the job this joint must do. The knee is a hinge-like joint that connects the lower leg bone (tibia) to the upper leg bone (femur). Ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and muscles all work together to stabilize and to facilitate the function of the knees.
Our knees support our entire body, as well as allow us to walk and run and dance. When we have problems with our knees, it can affect our daily lives. Simple tasks such as getting up out of a chair or bending down to tie shoes become a chore when you suffer from chronic knee pain. And forget about being able to participate in your favorite sport or other activity if you have constant pain.
There are many things we can do to improve and to protect our knees and to relieve the pain. Here are some knee care tips to help reduce or eliminate your pain:
- Maintain a healthy weight. The most prevalent cause and preventable reason for knee pain is extra weight; every 10 pounds of weight increases the pressure on the knees by up to 4x.
- Exercise regularly. Range of motion and strength building exercise are essential for healthy knees. Remember, it’s not just about bones, but flexible ligaments and tendons as well.
- Wear supportive footwear. Proper fitting shoes and proper support for what you are doing can help avoid knee injuries and subsequent pain.
- Avoid running/walking on hard surfaces for long periods of time. Standing, walking, or running on concrete and asphalt increases the force and pressure on the knees.
- Avoid pain-inducing activities. Don’t continue to engage in activities that produce pain. Seek medical help if you have pain for more than a few days. No pain, no gain? No way!
If you have arthritis or a knee injury, it can be helpful to get advice from an orthopedic doctor who is trained, board certified, and experienced in knee care in Panama City. Knee pain is one of the top complaints we treat for our patients here at Florida Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics. As an orthopedic specialist, Dr. James Talkington specializes in the structure and function of the joints, and has many different cutting-edge methods to diagnose knee pain and alleviate the pain based on your specific cause. When you come in for pain management treatments, he takes his time to educate you on proper footwear, exercises, and activities for your condition to help you avoid further pain or injury.